Thursday, January 12, 2006

Storytelling: West Along Dundas

On my way home for dinner, I pass a man walking the same direction as me. This man mumbles something I can't quite understand. I turn to him. He's old and haggard. His head hangs to the ground, emphasizing his double chin, and he wears his winter jacket open, emphasizing his bulging belly. A real down-and-outer.

This man looks up at me, motioning his hands in my direction. I slow my pace so that we now walk in step.
He says, "People here don't like me."
"What makes you say that?" I ask.
"Nobody talks to me."
"I'm talking to you."
"Yeah."
The old man stops as we approach a group of men lingering on the sidewalk. I continue on, saying to no one in particular, "Don't take that stuff so personally, man. It's not about you."

Elements to Consider:
1) Line - what is the story (what happens), how are the happenings connected, use specifics as much as possible without getting lost in detail.
2) Voice/Tone - who is the audience, who am I (what is my character), what is the medium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home